Why Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs

Toxic treats – can you resist the temptation?

Chocolate may be an essential food group for you, but keep it away from your puppy. You need to be diligent, especially during Halloween and the holiday feeding frenzy, in keeping your curious puppy away from those wonderful treats.

Chocolate is toxic to pets. The culprits are caffeine and theobromine, stimulants that raise a puppy’s heart rate. If he eats any, he may show signs of an upset stomach, including diarrhea and vomiting. Too much, and he may have respiratory or heart failure.

The darker the chocolate, the less it takes to affect your dog. Baking and semi-sweet chocolate will affect him faster and in smaller quantities than milk chocolate. As with many poisons, the size of your puppy is a factor and smaller breeds need less. If you suspect your puppy has ingested chocolate, consult your veterinarian immediately.

Share