KEEPING THE FUTURE IN MIND TODAY

Man hiking with his dog

You love your pets and you want a safe and clean environment where you can play together for years to come. And so do we. That’s why Purina is committed to the safety and health of our pets, and to our planet.

From the soil where our ingredients grow to our manufacturing facilities where our pet food is made, you can be confident that we’re using resources efficiently throughout the journey of your pet’s food.



When it comes to sustainable business practices, we source ingredients responsibly and continuously work to reduce our energy, water and waste from our operations. We’re also working to optimize our packaging and transport our products using highly efficient methods.

Recycling graphic

RECYCLE & REUSE 

Today, 80 percent of Purina’s packaging in North America is already recyclable. And we’re addressing the remaining 20 percent by performing trials to explore the use of new innovative materials. 

We’re committed to making 100 percent of our packaging reusable or recyclable by 2025. Many of our products are already in recyclable packages, including our wet food canned products. These cans are made from aluminum or steel (“tin”). 

Aluminum can be recycled endlessly, resulting in a significant decrease in waste. In fact, recycling 75 percent of all aluminum cans would prevent 11.8 million metric tons of CO2 emissions.

Recycling logo

Look for the How2Recycle icon to help you recycle your cans. 

We Have Big Global Sustainability Goals for 2020 & Beyond

100% Recyclable or Reusable Packaging
Zero Waste for Disposal
Net-Zero Greenhouse Emissions
Sustainable Sourcing Practices
Caring for Water

Our sustainability vision is to steward resources for future pet-loving generations, and our ambition is to strive for zero environmental impact in our operations.

Here’s what we’re working toward

purina-sustainability-lake-and-mountains
Renewable electricity graphic

WE BELIEVE OUR COMMUNITIES DESERVE CLEAN AIR

That means we continually look for renewable energy sources to reduce air pollution. We use cleaner fuels and find new ways to source renewable electricity. Our ambition is to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

Since 2007, we’ve reduced greenhouse gas emitted per ton of production by 19 percent, and an increasing portion of our total electricity today comes from renewable sources such as solar, hydropower, wind and investments in renewable energy.

We strive to use renewable energy sources in our factories, with three of our factories across North America using hydropower and wind to generate a significant portion of their electricity. Our goal is to reach 100 percent renewable electricity across all of our factories in the shortest practical time frame.

Clean water graphic

WE BELIEVE OUR COMMUNITIES HAVE A RIGHT TO CLEAN WATER 

That’s why we continuously promote responsible water stewardship in and around our factories. This includes implementing projects that conserve water in our operations and committing to safely treat that water before it returns to the environment.

Since 2007, we have improved water efficiency at our factories by more than 20 percent.

Our water stewardship extends beyond our factories, though. We’re also partnering with farmers and conservation organizations to implement water stewardship practices on farms in regions where our high-quality ingredients are grown.

Cleaner planet graphic

WE BELIEVE IN A CLEANER PLANET FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS 

Purina has achieved Zero Waste for Disposal across all company manufacturing operations. This means that all 21 of Purina’s manufacturing sites have found ways to derive benefits from materials that would have otherwise been discarded.

All locations now recycle, reuse, recover or compost waste from daily operations. In certain cases, locations also may utilize destinations that convert waste to energy to generate power.

We Believe Quality Starts at the Source

Sun setting over a cornfield

Every ingredient in our pet food serves a purpose. In addition to ensuring it meets the nutritional needs of your pet, we care about where that ingredient is raised—that there’s a healthy supply, it’s sustainable long-term, and that the supplier’s environmental practices align with our standards. Sustainable sourcing practices are at the forefront of development for every Purina product.


We also embrace the power of collaboration. With the sourcing of high-quality ingredients comes the reality that growing crops and raising animals on farms requires energy, water and nutrients.


The best way we can help preserve abundant crops is to invest with farmers and other partners in projects across the North America that preserve soil and promote clean water, biodiversity and other factors that create healthy ingredients and a healthy ecosystem.