How to Make a DIY Cat Feeding Station
When cats are eating, they like to be able to easily see around them, along with eating from surfaces that don’t impede their whiskers. Cat feeding stations that are elevated from the ground are a great way to make your cat more comfortable when eating. What’s even better is that you can make your own DIY cat feeding station at home. Read on for a step-by-step guide on how to make a cat feeding station with materials that can be found at major box store retailers and home improvement stores!
Benefits of elevated cat feeders
- Improved digestion. When cats eat at ground level, their stomachs are pressed, which can create an unpleasant feeling. A raised feeding station can help your cat eat in a more natural position.
- Great for older or sick cats. Older cats may have difficulty bending their bodies as much as they used to. Elevated feeding stations can help alleviate stress on their body.
- Cleaner meal times. An elevated feeding station means less contact with the ground. This can help the food stay fresh for longer and make sure it doesn’t come into contact with dirt or bacteria.
What you’ll need
- A wooden cutting board
- Two shallow dishes or salad plates for serving food or water
- A round dowel (3-feet in length and 1-inch in diameter). You can find this in the trim and molding aisle at a home improvement store
- A pencil
- A tape measure
- Four (4) 1-1/4-inch wood screws
- An electric drill/screw driver with bits and driver heads
- A jig saw and/or router
- Sand paper
- Eye and ear protection
How to make a DIY cat feeding station
1. Place your dishes where you want them on the cutting board. Leave some space between the two bowls, along with an inch or so of space around the edge of the cutting board.
2. Use your pencil to trace around the dishes. This is where you will cut the holes to hold the dishes.
3. Using you drill, create some starter holes on the inside of your outline of the dishes. These holes will serve as a place to start with your saw blade.
4. Use your jig saw or router to begin cutting along the line. Continue cutting until you’ve cut a hole that’s the right size to hold your dish. Repeat with the second hole.
5. Use the sand paper to clean up any rough edges.
6. Place your dishes into the cut opening, and measure from the bottom of the cutting board to the bottom surface of the dish. This measurement will help you determine the height of your legs. Make sure your eating surface is about 4-inches off the floor.
7. Once you’ve determined the height of the legs, measure and cut them from the dowel. With four legs in hand, drill a pilot in each of the corners of the cutting board, as well as the tops of the legs.
8. Use the screwdriver and wood screws to secure the legs to the bottom of the cutting board.
9. It would be a good idea to place non-slip furniture pads to the bottom of the feet. This can help keep the feeding station from sliding and protect the floors in your home.
10. Wash the cutting board with warm, soapy water. And place your dishes.