Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Green grapes in a bowl

Dogs love eating people food, and there are plenty of fruits and vegetables they can safely enjoy. While some make a nutritious and tasty treat for your pup, other fruits and vegetables can cause serious harm.

If you’re wondering, “Can dogs eat grapes?” the answer is a resounding no. Both grapes and raisins are bad for dogs. They can cause severe reactions and may even be fatal. Keep reading to find out why grapes and raisins aren’t good for dogs, learn the signs of toxicity and explore alternative treats for your pup.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

No, dogs cannot eat peeled or seedless grapes or raisins—which are dried grapes—and they are not safe in any amount. The exact cause of toxicity in dogs after they ingest a grape is not known, nor is the amount. Some dogs may suffer more severe reactions than others.

Because we know so little about grapes and their toxicity, Purina Senior Nutritionist Jan Dempsey says, “Many people keep fruits such as grapes in a bowl on the counter or table. For your pet’s safety, please make sure they are out of reach. He may be tempted to try something simply because it’s within reach and he has observed your behaviours and recognizes the fruit is food.”

Symptoms of Grape Toxicity

Unfortunately, new scents are enticing to dogs. If you’re eating grapes or raisins, your pup may be nearby hoping you drop one on the floor. If he ingests one or more grapes or raisins, he may exhibit any of the following symptoms:

  • Decreased appetite
  • Lethargy or weakness
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea within a few hours of ingestion
  • Tenderness in the abdomen
  • Dehydration
  • Increased thirst and urine production
  • Decreased or no urine production

What If Your Dog Eats a Grape or Raisin?

If left untreated, dogs may suffer kidney failure, which can be fatal. If your dog eats a grape or raisin, take action fast and call your veterinarian. They may recommend inducing vomiting. Don’t induce vomiting if he’s struggling to breathe or showing signs of shock.  

Several other illnesses can cause similar symptoms, so consult with your veterinarian if you aren’t sure he ate a grape or raisin. They can provide further direction so you don’t induce vomiting or administer other treatments unnecessarily.

Safe Treat Options for Your Dog

Although grapes are bad for dogs, there are some fruits and berries you can feed them without worry. The best way to treat your dog is to give him tasty treats specially formulated for his nutritional needs.

Remember, treats should comprise no more than 10 percent of your pup’s total calories for the day. Explore other people foods your dog can and cannot eat here.

Print Icon
Print
Email Icon
Email

Related Articles

Chocolate Labrador Retriever puppies near plate with cookies indoors

Chocolate is an extremely popular dessert, but if you're thinking about sharing your treats with your pet, this one may be better left to humans only.

Dog sitting at table
While your dog is part of the family, when it comes to meals it’s best to treat them differently. There are many foods harmful to dogs that you should learn to not feed them.
Dog Sitting Under Dining Room Table Begging For Food

When we think of autumn, the first thing that comes to mind is typically food-related. And who can blame us? Fall ingredients like pumpkins, sweet potatoes and nuts make up some of our favourite holiday meals and treats!